Formats and Prices
Heavy is the crown James has been born to wear, especially as the first Black heir to the British throne. But with his father’s recent passing, and with a new boyfriend to hide, James is woefully unprepared for the sudden shine of public scrutiny.
When his secrets come spilling forth across tabloid pages and the man he thought he loved has suddenly disappeared, James finds himself on the precipice of ruin. As every detail of his life becomes public knowledge, his sense of safety is shattered and the people he trusts the most become the likeliest suspects.
What dangers lurk behind the palace walls—and will the new king find out before it’s too late?
- “All hail this royal debut that twists, turns, and revels in palace intrigue and deceit."—Kirkus, starred review
- "A pulse-pounding thriller and searing romance!"—Publisher's Weekly, starred review
- “Scandalous, funny, and deliciously compelling!"—Catherine Doyle, co-author of Twin Crowns
- “All hail this exquisitely twisty, delightfully queer mystery.”—Chelsea Pitcher, author of This Lie Will Kill You
- “Benjamin Dean has written a royal triumph.”—Juno Dawson, author of Her Majesty's Royal Coven
- “A compelling thriller that stays with you long after you’ve finished reading.”—Kathryn Foxfield, author of Good Girls Die First
- “A scandalous peek behind the royal curtain, with more jaw-dropping, OMG-twists than even the most salacious tabloid journalist could create.”—Erik J. Brown, author of All That's Left in the World
- “One page-burning scandal after another. Benjamin Dean is YA royalty.”—Femi Fadugba, author of The Upper World
- On Sale
- Jul 18, 2023
- Page Count
- 384 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
About the Author
Benjamin Dean is a London-based celebrity journalist and middle grade author of Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow and The Secret Sunshine Project. The King is Dead is his first YA novel. Benjamin can be found on Twitter as @notagainben tweeting about Rihanna and LGBTQ+ culture to his 14500 followers.
From NOVL Nation
“The care with which Dean handles the character of James and the chaos that his life descends into is wonderful and aided in my fully falling into the story… With each chapter, we are taken on a wild ride and everyone around James is a suspect. I never felt comfortable with my suspicions until the very end and I absolutely loved the fact that it quite literally could have been anyone. Dean was able to throw in a lot of clues (and red herrings!) that kept me turning page after page, anxious to find out how the story ended.”
–Karin, The Incoherent Fangirl
“I do love a good old fashioned drama filled with betrayal, secrets, and blackmail… if you love any of that type of scandal-genre (think the Royals tv show, Reign, even Bridgerton or the Selection) this is absolutely for you!”
–Briana, Briana’s Book Nook