By Kamilah Cole
Formats and Prices
Whip-smart and immersive, this Jamaican-inspired fantasy follows a gods-blessed heroine who’s forced to choose between saving her sister or protecting her homeland—perfect for fans of Iron Widow and The Priory of the Orange Tree.
Faron Vincent can channel the power of the gods. Five years ago, she used her divine magic to liberate her island from its enemies, the dragon-riding Langley Empire. But now, at seventeen, Faron is all powered up with no wars to fight. She’s a legend to her people and a nuisance to her neighbors.
When she’s forced to attend an international peace summit, Faron expects that she will perform tricks like a trained pet and then go home. She doesn’t expect her older sister, Elara, forming an unprecedented bond with an enemy dragon—or the gods claiming the only way to break that bond is to kill her sister.
As Faron’s desperation to find another solution takes her down a dark path, and Elara discovers the shocking secrets at the heart of the Langley Empire, both must make difficult choices that will shape each other’s lives, as well as the fate of their world.
“By turns hopeful and devastating, So Let Them Burn is a masterful debut with a blazing heart. I was captivated from beginning to end by Cole’s sharp, clever prose and by her protagonists—two remarkable sisters with an unforgettable bond.” — Chelsea Abdullah, author of The Stardust Thief
- Tender, witty, and with a plot that will keep you glued to the page, SO LET THEM BURN is a beautiful exploration of what happens after becoming the chosen one—and how even when the legend ends, the story doesn’t.—Hannah F. Whitten, author of THE WILDERWOOD DUOLOGY
—Ava Reid, award-winning and internationally bestselling author of The Wolf and the Woodsman, Juniper & Thorn, and A Study in DrowningA riveting adventure, a deft exploration of colonialism, and a deeply moving tale of a fierce and complex sisterly bond. So Let Them Burn will keep you up all night reading, and then linger with you for long after the final page.
- What happens after the chosen one wins the war? So Let Them Burn explores the aftermath of victory, contending with the responsibility and impossible pressure of power. Kamilah Cole’s sweeping, heart-pounding debut is a book about bonds: between warrior and country, rider and dragon, chosen one and the gods, and, perhaps most importantly, the complicated yet impenetrable bond between sisters. With characters who will grip you by the throat, a skillful commentary on colonialism, and an immersive world filled with dragons, danger, and deception, So Let Them Burn is a remarkable addition to the fantasy canon, establishing Cole as a powerful new voice in the genre.—Adrienne Tooley, author of Sweet & Bitter Magic, Sofi and the Bone Song, and The Third Daughter
- Gods, dragons and mechanoids all war against each other in a deeply imaginative and fantastical twist on colonization and island history. With fierce protagonists and compelling conflicts, SO LET THEM BURN is a YA fantasy to root for!—Namina Forna, New York Times bestselling author of The Gilded Ones trilogy
- So Let Them Burn elevates the game, asking hard questions about the power and agency of a chosen one whose destiny has been seemingly fulfilled. By the time you see the claws, they're already around your throat.—Margaret Owen, New York Times bestselling author of Little Thieves and The Merciful Crow
- By turns hopeful and devastating, So Let Them Burn is a masterful debut with a blazing heart. I was captivated from beginning to end by Cole’s sharp, clever prose and by her protagonists—two remarkable sisters with an unforgettable bond.—Chelsea Abdullah, author of The Stardust Thief
- Kamilah Cole’s So Let Them Burn set my soul on fire in the best way possible! Cole weaves an enthralling tale by way of an authentic and complex sibling relationship that swallowed me whole from the first page. So Let Them Burn is a blazing debut from an impeccable storyteller.—Terry J. Benton-Walker, bestselling author of Blood Debts
- Clever and utterly fresh. So Let Them Burn takes the fantasy genre and soars into brilliant new heights, subverting expectations and hitting every mark. Kamilah Cole is a wordsmith through and through.—Chloe Gong, #1 New York Times bestselling author of These Violent Delights
- A spellbinding debut set in a rich, immersive world, So Let Them Burn is ultimately about love—romantic, platonic, and familial. At the same time, though, it’s a story with teeth. Cole weaves a powerful narrative full of captivating lore, meddling gods, and young women willing to do whatever it takes. A heart-pounding delight.—M.K. Lobb, author of Seven Faceless Saints
- Kamilah Cole has crafted a captivating story of sisterhood, defying fate, and the brutal effects of colonialism. With deft prose and stellar worldbuilding, this is an excellent new addition to YA fantasy.—Tara Sim, author of The City of Dusk
- Dragons and gods, magic and power, So Let Them Burn is a thrilling epic about family, strength, and the real costs of war. Masterfully told, this exceptional debut is destined to be an instant classic for all adventure-filled fantasy fans. Truly DAZZLING, I am OBSESSED.—Aiden Thomas, New York Times bestselling author of Cemetery Boys
- On Sale
- Jan 16, 2024
- Page Count
- 400 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
About the Author
Kamilah Cole was a writer and entertainment editor at Bustle for four years, and her nonfiction work has also appeared in Marie Claire and Seventeen. A graduate of New York University, Kamilah lives on the East Coast, where she’s usually playing Kingdom Hearts for the hundredth time, quoting early SpongeBob SquarePants episodes, or crying her way through Zuko’s redemption arc in Avatar: The Last Airbender.