By Mariko Turk
Formats and Prices
Perfect for fans of the tearjerker You’ve Reached Sam, this emotional will-they-won’t-they romance follows Natalie and Leander, two teens who navigate love, loss, and everything in between during a fateful summer internship.
Natalie and Imogen are inseparable, and wildly different—Imogen is infuriatingly humble and incredibly intelligent, while Natalie is brave, jumping into danger and new adventures. Still, one thing ties them together: their love of the supernatural. Every summer, they vacation with their parents at the famously haunted Harlow Hotel. Imogen is a true believer, while Natalie sees ghost stories as nothing but pure fun.
Then, Imogen suddenly passes away from an undiagnosed heart condition that no one saw coming, and Natalie is left to take on the summer before senior year alone.
Without Imogen, Natalie throws herself into her senior project. Her passion is still horror, so she plans to spend her summer back at The Harlow Hotel recording fun fake footage that will get her on the teen ghost hunting show of her dreams. And her plans would be a lot less complicated if Leander, her irritatingly attractive arch rival from school, wasn’t working on his senior project at the very same hotel.
The longer Natalie stays at the Harlow Hotel, the more she realizes that Leander might be helpful for her project. After all, she could use an extra hand to help record her fake footage.
But, when strange things start happening at the Harlow, Natalie wonders, could there really be something to these ghosts after all?
Readers of Emily X.R. Pan, Nina LaCour, and Dustin Thao will fall for this story that explores what it means to believe—in ghosts, in the people you love, and in yourself.
- "Dreamy, atmospheric, and exquisitely tender."—Katie Cotugno, New York Times bestselling author of 99 Days
- "A poignant exploration of the transformative nature of grief, I’ll Be Waiting for You beautifully blends humor, heart, and pathos. A perfect gem of a book."—Emma Mills, author of FOOLISH HEARTS and SOMETHING CLOSE TO MAGIC
Praise for The Other Side of Perfect:
YALSA's 2022 Best Fiction For Young Adults
"Debut novelist Turk writes with a great deal of nuance.... A well-choreographed story of hope, resilience, and personal growth."—Booklist
- "The writing is compelling, sentimental moments with please romance lovers, and the hopeful, yet realistic, ending is satisfying. A love story with a refreshing focus on confronting systemic racism."—Kirkus
- "A strong portrayal of musical theater, ballet, the arts, and culture all merged into a coming-of-age story that will resonate." —SLJ
- "A nuanced exploration of shattered dreams and new beginnings. Full of pain and beauty, like the best ballet."—Jenna Guillaume, author of What I Like About Me and You Were Made for Me
- "A captivating story of love, loss, identity and rediscovering your truth. Perfectly en pointe!"—Wai Chim, author of The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
- On Sale
- Apr 30, 2024
- Page Count
- 320 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
About the Author
Mariko Turk teaches writing and rhetoric classes and works as a writing tutor at the University of Colorado Boulder. She received her PhD in English from the University of Florida, with a concentration in children’s literature.